Wednesday, 24 March 2010

I am slowly coming round to the idea of Uniqlo

I have always thought Uniqlo was like a lamer version of Gap. Selling plain, generic t-shirts in 12 different colours for a questionably high price alongside failed attempts at skinny jeans (I say this from personal experience and bitterness at having worn baggy skinny jeans for years). What made Uniqlo different from Gap was that it was Japanese, and therefore sold illustrated t-shirts in cylindrical plastic pots on shelves 15 foot high. So I've been ignoring Uniqlo for a while, until BAM. I see a few adverts in magazines, and my interest is captured. I try the website. Suddenly it's gone from Gap to a cleaner version of American Apparel (ignoring the topless women on the homepage). Good God - they sell jeans for £14.99 - jeans that look skinny, jeans that look ACCEPTABLE. Uniqlo churn out designs with machine-like efficiency: like the 3 varieties of legging, categorised by price. Some things are even on the verge of pretty, although I wouldn't go that far. They have a jumper with a cake on it. A cake. I have realised that Uniqlo doesn't just have to be for 30 year olds. Japanese 30 year olds.
I recently bought this top from Topshop:

I thought it was spiffy because it had a knot in it, and didn't they do that in, like, the 80's or something. And it practically goes with everything, including my primark sandals which cut my feet, which is good because it means I won't have to buy anything for a while as I'm saving up for Bestival or an ipod touch. Or maybe both perhaps. Or the Hollister sale which I hear is on, because I've realised I don't have a denim skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment